[mythtv-users] nonlinear 16:9 stretch?

Robert Denier rdenier at finiteinfinity.org
Mon Nov 21 15:58:38 EST 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 02:14 pm, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
> > Currently I use the built in stretch mode on my TV to stretch 4:3 to
> > 16:9. It does a nonlinear stretch so the edges of the picture are
> > stretched more than the middle. Windows MCE has this feature too.
> >
> > Before I burn an evening mucking with a working X config, i'd like to
> > know if MythTV do this also, or does it stretch the entire picture
> > evenly?
>
>  	I think I remember this thread coming up before.  I really doubt
> that you will find anything from within the X config that will allow you
> to do that.  Modelines are linear.  Unless the specific video card driver
> has a special mode for it (non that I'm aware of do), you're screwed.
>
>  	That should probably be done at the application (i.e. mythtv)
> level.  I don't think anyone has done it yet.
>
> -Cory

Why would you want this?  Is there a screen shot somewhere showing why
this is useful?  I'm just curious...

Now what I'd like to see is an easy minor zoon that compromises showing 4:3
material on 16:9 sets.  Perhaps you could split the difference between what
you would cut off to keep the aspect ratio correct, but reduce the size of
the black bars by half.  Then again, I'm not sure if I'd use the feature that
much, until I had it.  For some odd reason if I zoom much beyond the normal
fit of 4:3 on the screen now, it tends to corrupt things.  Sometimes you
might want to do that do that to fit 16:9 source material that is showing on
a 4:3 channel on a 16:9 screen.  I've never looked into the issue, but I
suspect it might be video card (ati) related.

-Robert