[mythtv-users] HD Playback using ATI 9550

Tom Dombrosky tbdombrosky at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 12:13:52 EST 2005

On 11/22/05, N Dugas <normdugas at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Steve Adeff wrote:
> > On Monday 21 November 2005 16:28, N Dugas wrote:
> >
> >>I've got a myth box that I'd like to do HD playback. It's connected to
> >>a DCT6412. I'd like to re-use a spare ATI 9550 with 256M for this. Is
> >>this possible? Every thing I found suggests I use Nvidia due to
> >>superior drivers.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Norm
> >

> > what processor?
> >
> > Steve
> >
> Currently: Athlon XP 1800 but I've got an Athlon XP 3000 that may make
> it's way into that PC. I'm using the onboard video for playback
> currently but HD stutters too much to make it watchable.
>
> This pc:
> Asus A7N8X-VM/400
> 1G OCZ Dual DDR Ram
> Athlon XP 1800 CPU
> PCI IEEE1394 card
>
> DCT-6412 connected via 1394
>
> Thanks,
> Norm

My personal experience has been that nvidia cards work better with myth than
radeons. A lot of people have had success with Radeons so I don't want to
give them a bad reputation. Your onboard video will work with xvmc, which
drastically lowers the cpu requirements for hd decoding. I can do it easily
on an Athlon XP 2000 with xvmc enabled. You would need to use the nvidia
binary drivers though. I recommend sticking with the onboard nvidia stuff.

Tom