[mythtv-users] Real time threads and FC3

Jonathan Tidmore jtidmore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 14:31:58 EST 2005

>From what I can tell, setuid to root (chmod u+s /usr/bin/mythfrontend)
doesn't work on mythfrontend due to some sort of bug. The only way I got it
to work is to use sudo to start mythfrontend.

To use sudo to start mythfrontend and use realtime priority. I have user
mythtv running X and mythtv owns all video/tv files so I need to give sudo
rights to user mythtv to start mythfrontend.

To do so:

   1. run 'visudo' as root
   2. Under Cmnd alias specification, enter 'Cmnd_Alias MFE =
   /usr/bin/mythfrontend'
   3. Under User privilege specification, enter 'mythtv ALL=(ALL)
   NOPASSWD: MFE'
   4. Exit visudo using the vi save and exit command, :wq
   5. You're /etc/sudoers file (NEVER edit /etc/sudoers directly, use
   'visudo') should look something like:

# Cmnd alias specification
Cmnd_Alias MFE = /usr/bin/mythfrontend

# Defaults specification

# Runas alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
mythtv ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: MFE

Start mythfrontend using the command: e.g. '/usr/bin/sudo
/usr/bin/mythfrontend &' The frontend is now running as root. You should see
a log entry that says something like 'Using realtime priority' when you
start mythfrontend. Warning, this may or may not violate your security
standards and should only do so if you understand the risks involved running
an application as root.

On 11/22/05, Chris Trown <ctrown at safe-mail.net> wrote:

> I've been battling image problems with my install and thought that
> the problem was lack of priority for the mythfrontend in the kernel.
> Turns out that's not the problem, but I still would like to know.
>
> Has anyone managed to get realtime priority threads working with
> Fedora Core3?
>
> I've read the following thread and tried it all out:
>

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/159201?search_string=rtprio;#159201
>
> But it doesn't work. I've read some posts out on the 'Net saying
> that rtprio has been included in the latest PAM for FC3, but the dox
> I've seen doesn't list that as an option. I also went as far as to D/L
> the SRPM for PAM to tkae a look. I grep'd the entire tree looking for
> "rtprio". No joy.
>
> So anybody get this working?
>
> Chris...
>
> --
> "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
> temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin
> Franklin

Jonathan Tidmore