[mythtv-users] screen stretching problems with running X on the PVR350

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 22 14:40:38 EST 2005

korebantic wrote:

>--- "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>>korebantic wrote:
>>
>>>My screen in both the horizontal and vertical directions are stretched to far. When I log on as the mythtv user and run mythtv-setup, I can't really complete the setup because the next and previous buttons are off the screen, etc.
>>>
>>Set GUI Size (in Myth's frontend settings) to something smaller than your X screen size and set your X and Y offsets to about half the difference.  Use something like 704x464 as a
>>starting point.
>>
>I'm new to mythTV, so could you spell it out a little
>more for me =)
>
>Where do I configure this setting exactly? Will it be
>necessary for me to have completed mythtv-setup first?
>If so I'm in a bit of a catch-22 because I'm finding
>it hard to navigate through setup with this problem.

 From the frontend GUI, go to Utilities/Setup|Setup|Appearance

GUI width (px)
The width of the GUI.  Do not make the GUI wider than your actual screen
resolution.  Set to 0 to automatically scale to fullscreen.

GUI height (px)
The height of the GUI.  Do not make the GUI taller than your actual
screen resolution.  Set to 0 to automatically scale to fullscreen.

GUI X offset
The horizontal offset the GUI will be displayed at.  May only work if
run in a window.

GUI Y offset
The vertical offset the GUI will be displayed at.

Technically, you should run the mythtv-setup before running mythfrontend
(and, therefore, before mythfrontend's setup).  However, you can
probably start mythbackend, start mythfrontend, go to this menu to set
the GUI settings (noting that by default the focus is on the Next
button, so you can just press Return to "skip" a page).  Then, quit
mythfrontend, then shutdown mythbackend, then run mythtv-setup.

However, a better approach is to redisplay the backend config on a
monitor that's not constrained by the PVR-350's overscan.  I.e.
(assuming a machine called mythbox and a user called mythtv)

ssh -Y -l mythtv mythbox
mythtv-setup

Make sure you use -Y and not -X (because you need a trusted X session).

Mike