[mythtv-users] [OT] ProjectX user guide

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 16:36:18 EST 2005

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 14:29, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Audio and video stay (mostly) in sync at the expense of clicks and pops
> in the audio (when audio was either deleted or inserted to maintain the
> sync).  The new mpeg2cut being integrated into SVN's mythtranscode, on
> the other hand, inserts video frames to keep the sync (but Geoffrey is
> still working on a plan for the missing audio corrections).  Since video
> never pops, this should be much less distracting.

I've never noticed clicks or pops, either I have no missing audio in my
recordings or a newer version doesn't have this problem? I've also not
noticed any sync issues.

> Note, also, that I say mostly in sync because I have found that I get
> sections of recordings lasting between 5 and 30 seconds where A/V sync
> is off by as much as about 0.5 seconds.  Depending on (you and) your
> recording, you may not even notice this (if no mouths are shown or no
> dialog is in progress, it's not noticeable, and since it happens at
> "random" places throughout the stream, it's a matter of luck--which is
> bound to run out after you edit enough recordings).

yea, never noticed any loss of sync with ProjectX processed files. Perhaps its
the output format your using? I know it handles output formats differently.

> Also, A/V sync can be off by quite a bit before people are likely to
> notice it; however, once a person has noticed a sync offset within a
> video, that person is much more likely to notice other instances of sync
> offset.  Basically, the threshold at which a person notices the offset
> is initially high, but once he/she has identified an offset, the
> threshold plummets--allowing the viewer to easily identify offsets far
> below the initial threshold.

I'll agree here, and boy is it annoying when you notice it.

Whats worse is now I notice when original broadcasts are out of sync, some
network shows are like this. For instance, the other day watching a Seinfeld
rerun on one of my parents SD cable box I noticed about a .3s audio delay.

ugh...

Steve