[mythtv-users] Two Nova-T cards?

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Wed Nov 23 04:50:53 EST 2005

I have two NOVA-Ts (different chipsets). Individually they both work
fine. When I put them both in together, my signal seemed seriously
degraded and MythTV seemed to get pretty confused (perhaps because it
could not tune the cards) - chaos ensued, myth fell apart, so I took out
one of the cards.

I haven't had the courage or time to try again yet - but this is
something that I shall need to do over the next couple of weeks. If
anyone can give me any pointers I would be very grateful.

The card installed at the moment gives 'Philips Semiconductors SAA7146'
via lspci - the other uses the Connexant chipset. They both seem to be
model '909' (but I thought that different chipset implied different
model no.).

I'd be interested to know what needed patching in the driver[s]/kernel
and what chipsets other people are running with. Somehow, I can't see
myself getting this working by christmas :-(

Perhaps if we all put our heads together we can figure this one out. The
Philips card is on loan (I was too pessimistic to buy one straight
away!). So I could go pick another Connexant based card if that helped
(only one driver to hack :-) ).

Jules

Ciaran wrote:

>On 11/22/05, Weston, Toby <toby.weston at misys.com> wrote:
>

>>    Just wondering what people's experiences of using two Nova-T DVB cards
>>in the
>>
>>    UK? I know people have with great success but were there any gotchas?
>>The
>>
>>    reason I ask is I got my first card running (yey!) and got all flashy
>>and
>>
>>    threw in the other one, now ... neither work! I'll look into it more but
>>just
>>
>>    wondered if there was any obvious no-nos?
>>

>>    Cheers,
>>
>>    Toby
>>

>>    Ps, although I get FE_HAS_LOCK ok from tzap, mplayer doesn't display
>>
>>    anything or give me anything meaningful to work from (other than
>>something
>>
>>    about working on 2 steams(?))

>Err, it really was as simple as throwing both cards in for me! Sorry,
>but yes a pair of Nova-t  cards do definately work.  When I got it
>working the drivers needed modifications and I had to hack the kernel,
>I've not dared upgrade to the recent kernel for fear of losing my TV
>;)
>Cheers, if there's anything you need from me, just ask.
>
>--
>- Ciaran
>(I now have far too many G-Mail invites available, anyone who wants
>one, gets one)

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner