[mythtv-users] Userfreindly filenames of .nuv files?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 23 12:27:14 EST 2005

Christian Borchmann wrote:

>i found and modified mythlink.pl to fit my system.
>
>is there a way to seperate the date and time wit an underscore like
>
>11_22_20_15_ARD...
>
>I am not that good in perl to find out that myself...

mythlink.pl doesn't exist anymore.  A (way too long) history:

0.18.x have mythlink.sh, which was a great first implementation by Dale
Gass, but embedded a perl script in a bash script and required the user
to make changes to values within the embedded perl.

I patched mythlink.sh to allow all settings to be specified in the bash
script and to allow user-specified format strings.

Chris Petersen had been working on a replacement for mythlink.sh called
mythlink.pl which completely did away with the shell script and allowed
specification of format specifiers, etc via the command line.  The new
mythlink.pl had far more capabilities than the original mythlink.sh, but
since the patched mythlink.sh still had capabilities that mythlink.pl
didn't, Chris left both in the tree.

I ported the extra capabilities of mythlink.sh to mythlink.pl.  At this
point, mythlink.sh was removed.

Chris Pinkham and Isaac modified Myth to allow the use of any filename
in the database and to include the appropriate file extension on files.

Chris Petersen modified mythlink.pl to allow the user to actually rename
files on the filesystem and update their names in the database (as well
as to create links with the --link option).  At this point, he renamed
the script to mythrename.pl and mythlink.pl was removed from the tree.

Therefore, since:
    a) you're using SVN
    b) you didn't explicitly say that was by accident (i.e. using
KnoppMyth R5A22 ;)
I highly recommend that you upgrade to current SVN before attempting to
modify the script as any changes you make to mythlink.pl will have to be
ported to mythrename.pl or will never be accepted.

If you are using KnoppMyth R5A22, your best bet is probably to wait for
mythrename.pl in 0.19.  As of now, there is not a way to specify
date/time formats in mythrename.pl.  I have a couple of low-priority
changes I plan to make to mythrename.pl, so I may add that capability
once I find the time for the other changes.

Mike