[mythtv-users] bttv audio / snd_bt87x guide?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 21:42:28 EST 2005

On 11/23/05, Alan <alan at ufies.org> wrote:
> Ok, I've investigated my setup some more and figure that my issues with
> my knoppmyth setup not giving me sound for video recorded with a second
> wintv-go (bttv based) card.   I think this is due to sound drivers not
> working except for going out directly from the card (out of sync as the
> sound is "raw").
>
> Anyway, there are a lot of pages out there talking about btaudio, snd_bt87x,
> bttv audio, etc.  It seems that btaudio is depricated (and the tarball
> available won't build) and replaced by the snd_bt87x module.  I have
> found the card and tuner values from dmesg, just wondering where in my
> knoppmyth setup to put these options.
>
> Does anyone have their /etc/knoppmyth/modules/bttv they can share, or is
> there a definitive bt87x audio guide somewhere?  My system is pvr350 as
> the main card, a wintv-go as the secondary, with sound working fine
> except for when the 350 is recording and I'm playing live tv from the
> wintv-go.
>
> I *think* that I just need to add a "options tuner type=xxx" (or something
> like that) to that file.  However, if the card is recognized automatically
> (dmesg has a card=xx and tuner=xx in it) wouldn't that mean the system
> already knows about it?
>
> TIA
>
> Alan
>
> --

Don't want to discourage you from pursuing this, but I've NEVER had
luck with snd-bt87x btaudio OR any related anything on those bttv
cards.  The audio out to line-in/Mic-in are the only way I've been
able to get it to work, but the audio always has a hum (I have
searched far a wide for decent 3.5mm stereo cables but they don't
exist for a decent price), sometimes the hum is very faint, other
times is screeching so bad I have to simply delete and re-record the
program and hope it doesn't get too bad that time.

I've since then switched to HD-3000's and just grab all my shows in
HD.  The ones that aren't in HD, I try my luck at as before, but they
are fewer and farther between than my HD shows were.

:)

Good Luck!

Chad