[mythtv-users] RE: Problems with DVD rip

Johnathon Meichtry johnathon-dev at meichtry.org
Thu Nov 24 15:15:59 EST 2005

If your DVD-ROM drive in your PC has the DVD logo on it then I imagine you
are using an official licensed DVD player and the manufacturer should have
paid the approriate royalties to the DVD licensing group.

The software you use to decrypt and play it is a different story altogether
i.e. legal vs. illegal use of deCSS etc.

There is also a very very big difference between ripping DVD's to put in
your own Myth library and ripping to share with everyone else.  My advice is
not to be shy and aggresively rip all your DVD's and get them into your Myth
library as it totally changes the whole experience.  But never share them
and make sure the computer where you host your ripped mpgs are totally cut
off from the net i..e show intent that you are doing it for the right
reasons.

If you remember that you own the physical media but not the content and to
always look out for the interests of the copyright holder then you pretty
much can't go wrong.  Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.

Horray for mplayer/mencoder/vobcopy/decss/mythtv and all the other fantastic
tools that have totally changed the way my children view all their DVD's
"on-demand" in any room of the house.

Johnathon