[mythtv-users] need hardware advice

travis moralindignation at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 08:46:21 EST 2005

Ok, I've been lurking around for many many months and finally, for my
birthday, I got a Hauppauge card! I wasn't smart, I got the 150 MCE
version, not realising it didn't have tv-out.

I thought I could built up from this old machine I have. It's a
'monorail.' Since I am still really new to all this, here is the info
I see upon booting:

AMD-K6(tm)-2
CPU Clock: 350
HD: 495MB

base memory: 640k
extended memory: 97280k
cache memory: 1024

I thought I could at least put the card in and watch some live tv, but
then I see that the live tv  setting wants at least 3 gigs, so I guess
my half-gig hd just isn't going to cut it. I also need more ram, and I
guess a faster processor. So my question is should/can I build up this
machine, or would it be better to start over? This is what I was
looking at for the second option (to get me started):

  1      Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR400/512R - Retail
Model #: KVR400/512R
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820141436
        $37.57
1       Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380011A 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100
Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: ST380011A
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148015
        $55.00
1       ASUS Pundit-R Intel Socket 478 Intel Pentium 4/Celeron ATi 9100IGP
(RS300) Barebone - Retail
Model #: PUNDIT-R SECURITYKEY
** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16856110024
        $146.00
Subtotal:       $238.57

(There is a wish list here:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1767213&WishListTitle=ANOTHER+MYTH)

Anything I am missing here?

Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the long post.

--
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
- Lewis Carroll.