[mythtv-users] RE: Problems with DVD rip

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 25 11:11:55 EST 2005

Johnathon Meichtry wrote:

> If your DVD-ROM drive in your PC has the DVD logo on it then I imagine
> you are using an official licensed DVD player and the manufacturer
> should have paid the approriate royalties to the DVD licensing group.

Licensed with the DVD FLLC (DVD Format/Logo Licensing Corporation -
http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp and
http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/nolise/dvdlogo2.htm ) but not with the DVD CCA
(DVD Copy Control Association - http://www.dvdcca.org/ and
http://www.dvdcca.org/css/ ).  The DVD CCA license is the one required
to play back CSS-encrypted material.   (Considering how many licenses a
DVD player requires, it's amazing they're affordable at all.  Especially
when you consider some of those licenses mean nothing.  The DVD FLLC is
licensing the use of the DVD Format/Logo for material that complies with
the DVD format established by the DVD Forum.  But, the DVD Forum is a
/self-appointed/ administrator of the DVD format.  Wouldn't it be nice
to vote yourself in charge of something and start charging license fees
for the use of that something.)

> The software you use to decrypt and play it is a different story
> altogether i.e. legal vs. illegal use of deCSS etc.

And the use of deCSS is only illegal (in the US--and unlicensed in other
countries (which may mean illegal in those countries, too)) because
deCSS is not a DVD CCA-licensed software product.

> There is also a very very big difference between ripping DVD's to put
> in your own Myth library and ripping to share with everyone else.

Ethically, yes.  Legally (in the US), it's still a federal felony
offense because you are circumventing technological measures designed to
protect copyrighted material--a direct violation of the DMCA.  Too bad
ethics have little to do with legality.

>   My advice is not to be shy and aggresively rip all your DVD's and
> get them into your Myth library as it totally changes the whole
> experience.  But never share them and make sure the computer where you
> host your ripped mpgs are totally cut off from the net i..e show
> intent that you are doing it for the right reasons.
>
> If you remember that you own the physical media but not the content
> and to always look out for the interests of the copyright holder then
> you pretty much can't go wrong.  Thats my 2 cents worth anyway.

Good advice, but it doesn't change the legality of the act...  ;)  Of
course, I've never played a DVD on my Myth box because doing so would be
illegal, but if I had, I would agree with you that it makes watching DVD
movies a better experience because my Myth box gives me full control
over playback (including timestretch, post-processing quality, picture
correction, etc.) and the picture I get on my 67" 1080p TV is^H^Hwould
be much better than that I get from any other DVD player I've ever seen.

> Horray for mplayer/mencoder/vobcopy/decss/mythtv and all the other
> fantastic tools that have totally changed the way my children view all
> their DVD's "on-demand" in any room of the house.

Here!  Here!