[mythtv-users] Converting shows to PDA suitable format

Paul V. Gratz pgratz at gratz1.com
Sat Nov 26 00:18:53 EST 2005

Doh, I mispoke, see my change below:

On Friday 25 November 2005 11:12 pm, Paul V. Gratz wrote:
> On Friday 25 November 2005 04:32 pm, ffrr wrote:
> > I am fairly new to converting video, so I have been trying to discover
> > the best way to convert my recordings (PAL mpeg-TS from a DVB-T card) to
> > a small format suitable for my Palm Tx PDA.
> >
> > Firstly, I have read that divx is a popular format and the TCPMP player
> > on the palm will play it.  Is xvid the same thing? What's the
> > difference?  Any other suggestions for a target format?
>
> I have a treo 650 and I've encoded a few shows for it.  I have been
> using mencoder to encode it to the built-in lavc endcoder for divx.
> In my understanding divx is an early implementation of mpeg4 (prior to
> the release of the standard). Xvid is another. I'm not sure what the
> relative differences are but I think they more or less amount to the
> same kind of quality per bitrate. Now that mpeg4 is out I think they
> both produce legal mpeg4 output.
>
> > OK, so I have experimented with nuvexport.  Unfortunately, under
> > Knoppmyth R5A22, nuvexport with ffmpeg seems to be broken, so I tried it
> > with --transcode and chose xvid format and a screen width of 240 (a
> > suggestion as a reasonable compromise in quality and size).   The show I
> > am converting was 3.9GB in size.  The problem is, on my mythbox, which
> > is only a 800MHz celeron, it has been over 12 hours, the target file is
> > 200MB and it's still not finished !
> >
> > I tried running transcode manually from the command line on a faster
> > (non-myth) machine I have.  It's a 2.2GHz sempron.  I used this command
> > line
> >
> > transcode -i in.mpg -V -x mplayer -y xvid4,xvid4 -Z 240x160 -E 16000 -b
> > 48,1,7,1 -w 150 -f 24,2 -o out.avi
> >
> > but it still is going slow (<20 fps)
> >

> > So, I guess I am hoping for some suggestions on better ways to do this?

 I get much better performance using mencoder (part of mplayer). Its
 something like 15-20 minutes to encode a 1 hour program on my P4 2.8Hz
 HT machine.  I use nuvexport to give me the raw *.nuv file then I
 run mencoder on that file to re-encode for my palm machine. Here is
 the mencoder command line I use:

(I use nuvexport not mythtranscode)