[mythtv-users] Rundown on Videos

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Nov 26 10:15:16 EST 2005

Thom Paine wrote:

>>That's right (About the NFS), what format did you rip the DVD's in,
>>and what are you trying to play them back in? (Missing Codecs if in
>>AVI DivX/XviD format, missing DeCSS if you ripped to .iso?)
>>

>I ripped them in Perfect for now, but I'm sure the problem is that it
>can't mount the file as it's stored on the MBE and not locally on the
>frontend. They play no problem on the MBE. I'm sure most of the codecs
>are available, and when I checked the /video/videos directory, it
>ripped it as a .VOB. I just picked up another DVD for $6 at Walmart
>and I tried ripping that on Excellent, to see the file size and
>quality difference.
>

>>You can use folders, and if you enable the "Gallery View Browses
>>folders" (Or whatever it's titled, something similar to that), it'll
>>browse the files and folders in a proper manner as you'd expect.
>>

>That good, thanks.
>

>>You need to go into the "Video Manager", and from the menu for each
>>recording, go to "Search IMDB". This'll do it's best to get the info
>>and poster from IMDB. If that doesn't work, you can find the movie on
>>IMDB yourself, and enter the number (without the "tt", so "01234567"
>>for movie ID "tt01234567", find that ID in the URL) into the "Manually
>>get from IMDB" option.
>>

>Alright. I didn't experiment much with theis yet as the remote doesn't
>want to work, but the MBE seems to run very well. It's stable and
>sends recordings out to frontends with no problems.
>

>>If you want the best combination of redundancy and speed, use RAID
>>0+1. This will, however, only give you 600G of space, rather than the
>>900G RAID 5 gives you.
>>

>Raid 0+1 is two drives striped together (600G) and then mirrored on
>the other two drives? Maybe I should get a cheap raid 5 card with 5 or
>6 SATA ports on it for better performance?

I'd forget about RAID unless you simply *cannot* lose the data on the
drives or you are doing *true* hardware RAID since software RAID can be
a tricky proposition.  I've gone back and forth with RAID and ended up
not using it.  I back up my DVD rips to dual-layer DVDs (most rips are
Divx with AC3 tracks for space) which is cheap and does the job.
Anything else I can lose since it's just TV.  Best part, I get to use
all the space I paid for rather than losing some to RAID.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Looking for affordable webhosting?  http://www.sitecity.net