[mythtv-users] xine DVD playback freezes halfway through...

Ramon Redondo malinon at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 11:48:25 EST 2005

> Hello,
> I am running the newest version of xine/xine-lib/libdvdcss and am experiencing
> a problem where DVD playback freezes 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the disk.
>
> Everything about the playback goes flawlessly up until the point it freezes,
> sometimes I notice that the playback (and additional attempts to play after
> this happens) just get exceedingly slow and choppy.  Some disks do not have
> this problem, and there have been circumstances where I can get through the
> problem disk without freezes.
>
> xine-check comes up clean, I notice a few Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
> notices on the terminal prior to the freeze up.

I started having this same problem after my system had been up several
years.  I tried _everything_, including trying to chase down the 'RCE'
messages, which were a red herring.  In the end it appeared that it
was just the DVD drive failing... it was actualyl having trouble
reading sectors off some disks.  Switching in a new drive fixed the
problem.  I don't have a suggestion for which drive to use, since I
finally got around to fixing this YESTERDAY.