[mythtv-users] NUV TO WINDOWS PC

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 11:08:14 EST 2005

On 11/27/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have VirtualDub 1.6.11 installed on my Windows XP box and I thought
> I'd be able to use it to do some cuts to my MythTV recordings. I have
> a recording which was MPEG2 from a DVB-T broadcast which then got
> transcoded to MPEG4 by post recording processing. But when I try to
> open it in VirtualDub I get an error that says "Cannot detect file
> type". I have ffdshow installed. Does anyone know what I need to do to
> configure this setup so that I can edit my recording with VirtualDub?

  Phil, as Neils had mentioned you need to convert the NUV container to an
AVI using a tool like nuv2avi, to be able to access this file in Windows.
I've still got to try this one out.  I've been trying to use nuvexport (to
DivX) but the commercial cut locations I put in using myth aren't where they
are supposed to be when I get the resulting DivX file out.

  I'm going to try using myth to transcode the MPEG2 TS stream to MPEG4/MP3
and then use nuv2avi to recontain it to an AVI.  I hope it works... I need
some way to archive this stuff!  I'd really like to use nuvexport because it
doesn't affect the myth recordings at all (I can leave them MPEG2), it just
converts on the fly and dumps to a new file.  But without accurate cuting
it's worthless.

-Greg