[mythtv-users] NuppelVideo container format

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 27 12:02:15 EST 2005

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Felix Rubinstein wrote:
>
>> On 11/27/05, * Donavan Stanley* <geckofiend at gmail.com
>> <mailto:geckofiend at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On 11/27/05, *Felix Rubinstein* < felixru at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:felixru at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Why does it save video in this format and not in MPEG-2 video
>>         stream?
>>

>>     If you're using a hardware encoder cars it IS mpeg2 not a
>>     nupplevideo.
>>
>>         Why Myth format is so large and why can't it be saved in raw
>>         MPEG-2 video
>>         stream for later playback?
>>

>>     You should REALLY search the mailing lists...  This topic has
>>     been covered to death.
>>
>> Let's make it clearer, for instance, I use WinTV-PVR-150, it has
>> MPEG-2 encoder, right? So why files stored on hard disk are still in
>> NuppelVideo format?
>
>They're not. They have a .nuv extension, but are in mpeg-2 format. Try
>working with them as mpeg-2 files and you won't have a problem.

If you want proof, try file:

$ file 1018_20050115160000_20050115170000.nuv
1018_20050115160000_20050115170000.nuv: MPEG system stream data

This isn't Windows.  File extensions mean nothing.

Some broken operating systems decided to use file extensions as a way of
identifying file types because they couldn't figure out how to do it
right.  *nix doesn't suffer from this inherent limitation of those other
OS's.

Mike