[mythtv-users] Re: Buffer underrun/audio stuttering

tgate tgate at mypublic.net
Sun Nov 27 17:51:11 EST 2005

> I'm trying to get a Mythtv frontend/backend server up and running
> on a P4
> 2.8 GHz box with 1 GB RAM and Nvidia Geforce 6800. HDTV over
> firewire is
> what I'm having trouble with. I can now reliably connect to the
> cable box
> and get HDTV streams using test-mpeg2 and in Mythtv itself, however
> I've
> been completely unsuccessful at solving my audio stuttering
> problem. I've
> tried every combination of settings and every little suggestion I
> could find
> on the internet and this list yet I still get the following errors:
>
> 2005-11-24 04:33:52.663 audio waiting for buffer to fill: have 2048
> want
> 4096
>
> or
>
> 2005-11-24 04:33:54.567 WriteAudio: Preparing 4096 bytes (1024 frames)
> 2005-11-24 04:33:54.568 WriteAudio: buffer underrun

I was having the same problem. I had been running mythfrontend as
root and out of desperation I switched to running as a normal user
but running suid root, with mythfrontend owned by root.  Suddenly the
stuttering went away.  I can't imagine why.

-rwsr-sr-x  1 root mythtv 1272808 Nov 27 13:54 /usr/bin/mythfrontend*

I still have to press pause for a few seconds after liveTv starts up
in order to get smooth playback though.

running XVMC helps but I get warnings from mythfrontend that it's not
working.  So I'm confused but It does work, if a little bit clunky.

-todd