[mythtv-users] re: HDTV digital static with DVB

Patrick Wagstrom wagspat at iit.edu
Sun Nov 27 21:15:53 EST 2005

Like many people I'm experiencing issues with pcHDTV reception and
static under system load.  Specifically, it manifests itself quite
severely when watching live HDTV or watching a recording while it is
recording.

In the previous thread[1] there was some speculation about the problem
being the SiI SATA controller, well, I'm fairly certain we can put those
rumors to rest - I've tried it on a system with an SiI controller and
without and the results were largely the same - as system I/O load
increases the noise in the recorded stream increases.  I've posted quite
a bit of a rundown on my progress in this thread[2] at the pcHDTV
forums.  Basically, I found that the problem also persisted when I was
heavily active on the network too.  I tried saving the file to an NFS
drive and when I watched it while recording on the machine with the
pcHDTV (requiring a roundtrip of the data) I saw corruption.   But I
could save the file to another computer and watch it on that computer
with no problem - no corruption what-so-ever.

So I've got a question for folks who have had good luck with the pcHDTV
and are able to watch live TV from it - what is the configuration you're
using?  Do you have separate frontend and backend machine for the
configuration?

It seems like the solution for me would be to get another computer for a
backend and have it woken up when it should record.  Obviously, this is
not an optimal solution.

--Patrick

[1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/159591
[2] http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1077