[mythtv-users] pvr 350 not able to record TV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 27 22:03:30 EST 2005

sarvinc at fastmail.fm wrote:

>I'm on a Athlon 64 w Gentoo and a PVR 350 card. Right now I'm using a separate
>video card for video output on an LCD monitor. I've got a coaxial cable
>plugged into the back of the PVR 350. When using "cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg"
>I get an empty file. I've tried searching the mailing list, googling, various
>setup procedures found on the net, and just different values but no luck. I'm
>not sure what's wrong and any help would be appreciated. I'm posting what I
>think is relevant dmesg output:

>ivtv0: Failed to load module tuner
>ivtv0: Failed to load module saa7115
>ivtv0: Failed to load module saa7127
>ivtv0: Failed to load module msp3400
>ivtv0: Failed to load module tda9887

You have to install ivtv (for the kernel you're currently using) to use
it...

Or, perhaps someone forgot a "depmod -ae"

Also, to get IvyTV init info, don't use a "grep ivtv" because much of
the important stuff doesn't contain the string ivtv.  Instead, use:

tac /var/log/messages |
sed -n '/=\ \ END INIT IVTV\ \ =/,/= START INIT IVTV =/p;
    /= START INIT IVTV =/q' |
tac

Fortunately, this time, the problem showed up...

Mike