[mythtv-users] Gigabyte video card

David Rudder drig at noses.org
Mon Nov 28 16:32:26 EST 2005

I'm looking at a similar card.

I have a couple friends who work for Nvidia, one who makes chips (and,
no, this doesn't get me any discounts on cards:( ).  He says that the
6200 series does HDTV very well, and are well supported on Linux.  There
are a couple caveats:

Make sure your mainboard has PCI-E.  Mine has AGP, so I can't use this
card.  The AGP options are fewer and more expensive.  I'm not sure the
difference between the two, except you have to use what you have.

This card may not come with component out.  You may have to purchase the
connectors seperately.  It supports VGA and DVI natively.  My television
has DVI, but then I'm still paying for the cables.  A more expensive
card may support the component outputs, which can use cheaper cables,
and thus close the money gap.

All that being said, I have not yet picked up a video card (using
on-board cheapo until I resolve some firewire issues) and all of my info
is gained from telephone conversations and not real experience.  Caveat
emptor.

-Dave