[mythtv-users] HD3000 recording problem in Mythtv- signalStrengthATSC_v4l2(), error: Invalid argument

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 19:46:20 EST 2005

R. Geoffrey Newbury wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:56:25 -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
>

>>R. Geoffrey Newbury wrote:
>>

>>>If you want to watch HD, you need the cx-dvb module. It should be loaded
>>>after the ivtv modules and not as part of them.
>>>

>>What do mean "not as part of them"?  You mean not in modprobe?
>>

>The pcHDTV card has 2 modes: ATSC and NTSC.
>If you want NTSC, you can load the cx8800 module as one of the 'alias
>char-major-81-x' group of lines and it will appear as /dev/videox. In this
>mode, you can apparently get away with using the tveeprom-ivtv module (not
>sure of this).
>
>If you want ATSC, you must use the tveeprom module (not tveeprom-ivtv) and
>the cx88-dvb and cx88-blackbird (for the mpeg encoder). These apparently
>must be loaded after the ivtv stuff and the hardware appears at
>/dev/dvb/adapter0.
>Amended below, to match mine..
>

>>My modprobe.conf:
>>
>># ivtv modules setup
>>alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
>>

>#alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
>

>>alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
>>#
>># nvidia kernel module
>>alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7676
>>alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7676
>># lirc - at bottom to ensure ivtv is loaded before lirc_i2c
>>install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
>>lirc_i2c
>>install cx88-dvb
>>

>#needs a little more: add:
>
>install cx88-blackbird
>install btcx-risc     # I have no idea what this module does!

me either. When I used the dvb-tools (I think that's what they were
called... I'm getting forgetful with all this!) It installed the
following in modprobe.conf:
(note that these are only 3 lines. 2nd line is long)

alias char-major-81 cx88-blackbird
install cx88-atsc /sbin/modprobe cx8800;/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
install cx88-dvb /sbin/modprobe cx8800;/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
cx88-dvb
install btcx-risc /sbin/modprobe tuner;/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
btcx-risc

I'm lost as to whether I need to have the alias char-major81 in there or
not.

Very confusing.

>>cx88-dvb is the last loaded. But, the PC still just loads the V4L
>>drivers. I still have to manually:
>>
>>/sbin/modprobe cx-88
>>

>If you have to do this again, try cx88-dvb instead. I think that you get
>this result because of the wrong tveeprom... just a guess

opps.. that's a typo. I DO use:

/sbin/modprobe cx88-dvb