[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging - whats it all about

Ant Daniel antdaniel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 04:00:48 EST 2005

I don't know how many of the 'generally works well' posters are in the
UK as the original poster, but here in the UK, it doesn't work as well
as all that.

Results vary from:
no commercial detection;
commercial detection for some breaks;
false detection of a commercial break;
commercial detection but only skips 30secs into break (usually stops
after the channel schedule ads but before the commercials);
and obviously full and perfect commercial detection.

The results can vary from channel to channel, but also within the
channel itself, for example recording Stargate SG-1 on Sky, can work
perfectly one week, and be all over the place the next.

Is best in UK to have the 'notify commercial break' option rather than
auto skip, and then use the 'skip commercial button' (can't remember
it's mapping as I have it on a remote).

Obviously doesn't really work at all for BBC channels (no commercials)
it can sometimes find the schedule ads, but I have set my BBC channels
to 'no commercial flagging'.

Ant.