[mythtv-users] Re: Via vt-310dp and c146

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Nov 30 16:03:07 EST 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:47:16 -0500, Andrew Plumb wrote:

Hi Eliot (and mythtv-users),

>With respect to the C146, my PVR500 dual-tuner card was a shade too long to
>install in the first (PCI2) slot of the dual-slot PCI riser card AND fit
>back into the case; neither of the cards work if you put them in the second
>(PCI3) slot.  The PVR350 fits and works.  What I haven't tried (yet) is to
>install a "dummy" PCI card (like an old network card) in the first slot and
>the PVR500 in the second.  The problem is most likely with the riser card,
>an active versus passive circuit design; the descriptions at this site are
>what lead me to suspect that this is the issue:
>http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=3D8#p1902

Your problem IS the riser card.
Most PCI riser cards come with a small daughter-board which is intended to
go into the motherboard's original PCI slot to pass the power and IRQ to
the riser card slot....Of course that does not work when you only have one
pci slot!

Via make a 2 slot riser card which has active circuitry to obviate this
problem. I think that their riser is in fact intended for Travla cases
like the C146. I got mine from Logic Supply, Waterbury Vermont.
http://www.logicsupply.com    >Accessories>PCI Riser Cards>   Part name
PCIRISER2.  That card may solve your physical fitting problem with the
PVR500 too.
This riser allows me to use both my PVR500 and pcHDTV3000 on my Via
SP130000.

Because my case (Silverstone LC11M) is designed for a physically different
structure  with an AGP card in the 'first' slot, I am using a flexible PCI
extension (part name: Flexpci) between the motherboard PCI slot and the
PCI riser card.
This route can obviate a number of other problems too.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638