[mythtv-users] Dish Network and MythTV

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 21:27:13 EST 2005

> > Etc.:  Current hardware can't decode MPEG4 signals, but the vast
> > majority of current hardware can't decode MPEG2 HD either.  The SD ->
> > HD changeover (which is well under way, despite the caterwauling by
> > some Cassandras on this list) presents a one time opportunity for the
> > sat. companies to upgrade their tech simultaneously.
>
> Specifically, current TV's can't decode MPEG-4 and most current TV's
> can't decode MPEG-2

Thank you for attempting to specify what i was talking about, but when I
said "hardware" I was talking about DVB settop boxes.

This could probably have been inferred from the fact that the entire thread
is about Dish Network and Myth.

(although all HDTV's--those with ATSC tuners, as
> opposed to HD-Ready TV's, which need a separate tuner--can decode
> MPEG-2).  However, all DISH and DirecTV receivers can decode MPEG-2, as
> that's the format the satellite companies are using to transmit the
> video (both standard- and high-definition channels).

Lest my point be unnecessarily muddled, I should restate my point (an
entirely unimportant one. mind you) - The vast majority of current DVB
recievers cannot decode high definition MPEG2 signals.