[mythtv-users] How big is your database?

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 30 23:54:44 EST 2005

Use LVM.

You can grow/shrink partitions as needed. Just check that the filesystem
used is able to do the same (I use reiserfs with no problems).  Also
allows the almost transparent addition of more hard disks if needed.  I
will soon be adding around 300G to the mythtv partition (currently part
of the 80G multiple partitioned single disk) and I expect it to take
only a few minutes (after i read up on it as its been a few months since
my last add!) with I hope, only a few minutes of downtime.

One of the IT specific corollaries to Murphy's Law states that no matter
what size you make a disk partition today, it will be wrong tomorrow -
at least with LVM its not a terminal condition.

BillK