[mythtv-users] Any words of wisdom for HDMI capable TVs

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sat Oct 1 05:23:27 UTC 2005

It looks like I might soon be in the position to re-buy a
replacement HDTV as my old Hitachi will likely be declared a
lemon and probably replaced.  Assuming I will get the
option to upgrade or pick another unit I've been looking
at the latest class of rear-projection tv's and input options.

There seems to be a new kid on the block called HDMI,
which from what I can read is pin compatible with DVI-D.
However should I be concerned about any of the copy protection
(HDCP) that comes with it?

In my current setup, I have a vga-to-component converter and
use standard RCA stereo audio.  However, my current TV has always been
one hd input short (just 2) when I'd really like 3 (DVD, PC (mythtv),
and standard HD STB).  I was considering a Sony KP-46WT520
which has 2 component plus a HDMI giving my desired 3 inputs.

Does anyone have any experience driving a HDMI input from
a PC?  My graphics cards have DVI outputs; looks like adapters
and cables are available.  Any trouble setting resolution / frequency?
I'd like to get to either 720p and/or 1080i.

Anything else I need to be careful of?

Thanks,
Brian