[mythtv-users] hdtv modelines

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Sat Oct 1 11:28:26 UTC 2005

Hi,

  Next thing to set up is my xorg.conf for dvi out.

I have to say I'm very confused about how dvi modelines work. I've never
used anything other than analogue monitors before.

Perhaps someone can correct my assumtions as I ramble along:

My tv will support 480p-60Hz, 576p-50Hz, 720p-50Hz, 720p-60Hz, 1080i-50Hz
and 1080i-60Hz.

I'm guessing that non-interlaced is generally better, right? So my best
resolution would then normally be 720p-60Hz, but what about when I'm
watching interlaced material, like analog tv signals? Is it better to let
the tv or myth do the deinterlacing?

The analog resolutions the tv supports are 1024x768, 1280x768, 1360x768
and 1366x768. Am I right in assuming bigger is better here?... I think ati
cards hve a divider of 4 right? So 1368x768 is about as close to 16:9 as I
can get.

Don't know if I need to be thinking of this, or whether I should just pick
a standard hdtv modeline.

I looked at this page:
http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/howto/linux-htpc/video_card_configuration.html

Wish there were a little more description about what each modeline
actually does.

I don't have a hdtv source at the moment, so ATSC means little, sources
are analog tv 'PAL' dvd (mostly PAL) and whatever I happen to have lying
around in mythvideo.

Can someone point to a better site where the modelines are explained?

Thanks

Marius