[mythtv-users] hdtv modelines

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 16:49:10 UTC 2005

 The best thing to do, is hook up a windows machine and run Powerstrip. Then
you can flip through all the resolutions that windows detects, (I was able
to do about 45 different variations on my 1080p TV, each generated a
specific modeline).

Keep in mind that if you plan on using your myth machine to play games or do
stuff that's on in myth using DVI you will be overscanning the screen fairly
significantly. I was planning on doing everything over DVI on my setup but
out of the three TVs that I've tried (in my home) they all had over an inch
of overscan on all sides. This makes using the computer normally very
difficult because the menus and status bars are off the screen, it's also a
problem with games because of health and ammo meters. Anyway, I ended up
just going over the standard analog VGA cable so I could scale everything to
fit on the screen. I liked the idea of 1-to-1 pixel mapping and DAMN does it
look crystal clear but it wasn't worth it to me since half the time we're
playing games on it and it looks nearly crystal clear with the standard
D-Sub cable.

Hope this helps,
-Greg