[mythtv-users] OT: Phone Concentrator(?)

Todd nospam at tippyturtle.com
Sat Oct 1 18:11:24 UTC 2005

I have been running asterisk for over a year now...some things I have
learned...

The X100P cards are WAY more trouble than they are worth if you are going to
use to for more than CallerID.  You will never get the echo out.

If you want to answer the phone (via SIP or Myth) or you want to get into
VoIP in general, get something with an FXO port.   I recommend the Sipura
SPA-3000.  It runs $99 and has 2 FXS (to run a normal phones) and one FXO
port.  The FXO port you can configure to "ring" the myth box directly with
no Asterisk involved.  It will pass all the CallerID info.
http://www.sipura.com/products/spa3000.htm
...you configure the thing with a web browser...very nice.

Then if you really want to go nuts you can buy a 2 line phone (I like the
Panasonic "expandable" wireless phones) plugging both lines into the FXS
ports on the Sipura and setup a "dialing plan" to dial out at 2 or 3 cents a
minute nearly world wide...or have an incoming 877 number at the same rate.
All the info is in here somewhere:
http://www.voip-info.org/

Bottom line:  The easiest way to get started in my opinion is with something
like Sipura box, just make sure it has an FXO port to "ring" the Myth Box
up.

Good luck,
ToddD