[mythtv-users] Serial VFD integration

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Sat Oct 1 19:25:39 UTC 2005

Hey guys,

I'm hunting everywhere for how to integrate MythTV and my VFD.  Does myth
just see that LCDd is running automatically?  All the posts/documentation
I've read never really go into how they talk to one another.

Also, I can't seem to get my particular VFD to function with LCDd.
Everything works perfect when hooked to COM1, I can do:

echo -ne "\nTest" > /dev/ttyS0

and it comes up and stays on screen.  (The \n just clears the screen as
it's a 16x1 screen).  My attempts with LCDd thus far have been using the
HD44780 driver with Port commented out in the conf and Device=/dev/ttyS0.
No errors are reported from LCDd or lcdproc, but the display never
changes.

Since I can just echo to the port, do I even need LCDproc?  Any help would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben