[mythtv-users] Picture Scaling Question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 3 11:58:02 UTC 2005

Peter Darley wrote:

>	I'm building a frontend box to go with a tv that is 1080i capable.  I'm not
>planning on tuning HDTV, and I'm not likely to play dvds through the myth
>box, so I don't have a compelling reason to drive the tv as an HDTV.
>
>	The question is:  For regular format tv, would I be better off outputting
>it via svideo and letting the tv scale it, or would I be better off letting
>the frontend scale the video, then outputting it at 1080i via a component
>out?  The machine isn't going to have a tuner, and will have an mpeg2
>hardware decoder, so I'm not woried about load on the machine, just picture
>quality.

Unfortunately, it depends on the TV.  About the only way to know for
sure is to try both (all three?) ways.  Different sets have different
scaling quality.

Note, also, that it's likely that you have a TV that has 720p resolution
(1080p resolution is new again).  You might want to try 1280x720p as
well as 1920x1080i to test.

Mike