[mythtv-users] Large-scale myth farm

Illtud Daniel illtud.daniel at llgc.org.uk
Mon Oct 3 15:02:18 UTC 2005

Greg,

> LOL - fantastic!  Lend me one and I'll tell you :-)

:)  I'll have to buy it first. We've some dual opteron
systems we can start testing on.

> Most "servers" could probably handle lots of DVB cards, as this is
> only PCI bandwidth and disk IO speed.  PCI bus is probably you next
> problem as disk IO is not usually an issue.

Big Boxes generally have multiple PCI buses, so that may not
be a problem.

> I would think that a quad CPU box will easily transcode 4 programs,
> but you did not ask how long it would take?

Well, we've a shuttle box testing here which is a few years
old, and it's managing about 70% realtime on transcoding, so
I'm guessing the opterons could go a bit faster!

> Linux clustering should be able to remove the SPOF of the backend -
> you would also need to cluster the DB and NFS parts.

Red Hat does a nice cluster suite, but I doubt if RHEL4 would
be the easiest system to install myth on without breaking
too much RHN etc.

Thanks for your help, Greg.

Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel at llgc.org.uk
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst
Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru                  National Library of Wales
Yn siarad drosof fy hun, nid LlGC   -  Speaking personally, not for NLW