[mythtv-users] Frontend / backend setup recommendations

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 4 00:28:37 UTC 2005

Kevin Barsby wrote:

>My Myth box cooked it's disk earlier this week, and I've been pondering
>the best wat to setup a backend / frontend system.
>
>The two options I'm considering are:
>- Frontend only + backend on separate PC
>- Frontend + Backend on 1 machine with networked storage on second
>machine
>
>The main reason for considering the second machine as a storage only
>box, is I'd like to have it dual booting (for the occasional Windows
>based game), I could potentially then move the networked storage to a
>dedicated network device (Iomega sell a 250GB model I believe).
>
>Anyone tried anything similar?

Sounds like the frontend only + backend on separate PC would be a better
approach.  Otherwise, you can't play games when you want to record things.

Basically, make your frontend into a dual-boot system (nearly all the HD
could be used for the gaming box).  This also allows you to set up a
high-def-capable frontend (which requires beefy CPU's and doesn't mind a
good NVIDIA GPU) so you're prepared for the future.  This is the
approach I'm taking for my high-def upgrade.  Since the system I'm
getting for the frontend is better than my current gaming system, it
makes sense to set it up as my new gaming system--meaning I need a
separate backend so my frontend can be shut down (and booted to Windows)
whenever.

Mike