[mythtv-users] Static from SPDIF out when starting playback

Stefan Wrobel swrobel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 07:18:52 UTC 2005

This is a really weird problem and I can't seem to figure out what is going
on. For starters, my system:
- 0.18.1 on Gentoo 2005.0 (kernel 2.6.11)
- Guillemot Fortissimo II sound card (CS46xx driver) with Alsa 1.0.9b, using
an optical spdif connection to my Panasonic SA-XR55 receiver
- PVR-500 with ivtv 0.3.9 (doubt this matters)

Anyway, when I start watching live tv or a recording (but NOT when I watch a
video), I get static for a split second before it starts. It sounds like 3
quick clicks almost, but staticky clicks. It's very loud and very obnoxious.
It's just that same sound every time and then as soon as the video appears
everything is fine. This is only through the SPDIF, not when I use analog,
but of course I want to use SPDIF because I plan to install an HDTV card and
want AC3 out. Anybody have any experience with this happening and any
possible solutions? Thanks,

Stefan Wrobel