[mythtv-users] mpeg decoder video card?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Oct 4 17:37:39 UTC 2005

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I was wondering if the output quality is better if I use a video card with
>>>mpeg2 decoding, instead of one without.
>>>
>>>I use a PVR-150 for encoding, and a GeForce4 MX440 with S-Video out for
>>>output, but I imagine that the decoding is done in software?
>>>

>>Do you have XvMC enabled for the card? I use the exact same card, and it
>>works very well.
>>
>>Tom
>>

>Thanks Tom.
>
>I do have XvMC enabled, is that used by the GeForce4 card? I'm assuming that
>I enable it in the mythtv config, checking the box for XvMC. Do I have to do
>anything else? Is simply checking the config option sufficient?

That should do it, assuming that the frontend was compiled with XvMC
support. I forget off the top of my head how to make sure it's working.

>Is XvMC mpeg2 decoding done on the card, or something else?
>
>Are you using any other filters to improve quality?

No other filters, just Bob de-interlace. I believe the quality is as
good as what my TV does on it's own. I have a PVR-250, not sure if there
is a different tuner in the 150.

Tom