[mythtv-users] advice on which hardware revision of xbox as a frontend

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 02:49:11 UTC 2005

On 04/10/05, Joe Harvell <jharvell at dogpad.net> wrote:
> I am planning to get an Xbox for my Myth frontend.  Here are my questions:
>
>     * I know for xbox >=1.6, I have to use the hardware method to
>       convert.  So I am thinking I would like to get a <1.6 to keep my
>       options open.  But since the xbox games are a minor concern, I
>       don't want to sell myself short if the 1.6 or 1.6a have some
>       advantages for a PVR frontend.  Does anyone have any
>       recommendations for hardware revision?

Actually, you don't anymore. I've sucessfully softmodded my v1.6 using
UCE (IIRC)

>     * I want to use both the component out and ac3 out from the xbox.  I
>       can't tell for sure if the adapters really support both at the
>       same time?  Has anyone done this?

Component out is not supported in any flavour of Linux for the XBox
(That I know of). Sorry.

>     * I am going to have a DISH301 located at the Myth BE (about 100-120
>       feet away from the FE).  So I know the backend will need to
>       control the DISH301 using an IR blaster.  But I still need to
>       control the MythFE using a remote.  Do I just use the IR receiver
>       built into the xbox with LIRC using the xbox remote?

Yes. If you search the net hard enough, you'll find lirc drivers for
the MS XBOX DVD/Media Remote.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston