[mythtv-users] splitting signal?

Louie Ilievski loudawg at comcast.net
Wed Oct 5 07:14:19 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 08:19 pm, Benoit Beauchamp wrote:
> I want to be able to watch live TV while something is recording on the
> computer. I want to be able to switch channel on the tv while the computer
> is still recording. Then at some point I want to watch the recorded shows
> on the TV...

You'll need a splitter for sure. However, your cable box can only deliver one
feed at a time, so if you want to watch live tv on your cable box and have
the computer record a cable channel at the same time on a different channel,
then that won't work.  You'll have to split the signal before the box and
just give your computer the analog channels that don't need the box, or vice
versa.  That's the situation I'm in.  I have an IR blaster but my scientific
atlanta box doesn't have a discreet power code, so I don't trust it as
supplying my mythtv computer.  With roommates and all, I'm guaranteed to lose
half of my recordings because they'll turn it off and such.  Pretty much all
of the channels I watch are analog anyway...as a matter of fact, I can't
remember the last time I watched any digital channels.

~Lou