[mythtv-users] Channel Hopping

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:21:55 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, James Hansen <mythtv-users at f0rmula.com> wrote:

> Lee wrote:
>

> >> There was a recent lengthy (and somewhat heated) thread in the dev list
> >> about this. The technical reason for the delay is because the system
> >> has to do the following things when changing a channel on "Live TV":
> >>
> >> 1) Tune the channel.
> >> 2) Start encoding the feed.
> >> 3) Store the file.
> >> 4) Decode the file.
> >>
> >> Each of these steps takes a little time. If you don't do them, you lost
> >> the ability to pause or rewind Live TV, which is one of the sexy things
> >> about a PVR.

My question is, why delete the ringbuffer at all when changing channels?
Just tune to the new channel and continue writing to the same buffer as
before. That might make changing channels faster and you'd be able to skip
back to something from before the channel change. It would also make
accidental channel changes less costly.

--
I probably still have a few (well, now a whole bunch) gmail invites.
Drop me a line (off list) if you'd like an account.