[mythtv-users] Transcoding HDTV for playback on EPIA MII Frontend

Joel W. Goldwein, MD jgoldwein at impac.com
Fri Oct 7 16:15:13 UTC 2005

I have a backend with an 2 PVR-250 cards and one HD3000 card and several VIA
EPIA MII based frontends.  I can play live and recorded PVR programs fine on
the frontends, but for the life of me I cannot play HDTV live or recorded
programs on the frontends.  The frontends pretty much bomb.  Even when I
mythtranscode the HDTV programs to very small (and very poor quality) MPEG-4
and RTJpeg, the picture is jumpy, choppy and stutters at best.  FYI, when I
play the same recording live, freshly recorded or transcoded on the backend
system (Chaintech 7NIF2 - Semptron 2800, it is fine (except for the poor
quality of the transcoded file).

Any suggestions for improving this?

Thanks in advance.

Joel Goldwein