[mythtv-users] Re: Comcast being coy?

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 16:24:58 UTC 2005

On 10/7/05, Marc Infield <marc at infielddesign.com> wrote:

> I was also impressed that they only charge $5 more for their DVR, are
> they any good? I hope not, by the time you add up what I have
> invested in parts for all my Myth learning it would end being DVR
> rentals for about 10 years. :)

No, the Comcast HD-DVR is crap. My sister has one and the storage space is
severely lacking. I don't recall off hand how many hours it can store, but
it's not much more than 10, if that. Also, they seem to have a serious bug
in them. If the DVR is powered off and it is scheduled to record a show it
will actually begin the recording, but not display to the user that it is
powered on and working. If you then hit the power button while it is
recording it will turn on and display video so you can watch TV on the
second tuner. However, the second tuner is MUTED. I have yet to find a way
to get it to unmute other than turning off the DVR (which kills whatever
recording was in progress) and then turning it back on. Also, it clearly has
two tuners since you can record and watch at the same time, but I also
haven't yet been able to get it to record two shows at once. If there's two
tuners in there I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to record two shows
if I'm not using either of the tuners to watch TV.