[mythtv-users] MythTV Filled Hard drive MySQL service willnotstart at boot.

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Fri Oct 7 16:29:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:06:37PM -0400, Chris Gackstatter wrote:
> I did the 'df -I'
>
> I have over 5Mil  inodes in one of my partitions is that excessive.  If so
> what do I do about it?

This is unclear...  Is that over 5 million used, free, or total?

If that's 5,000,000 free or total, don't worry about it.  The number
of inodes in a filesystem is the maximum number of files/directories
it can hold (each file/directory uses 1 inode), so it's better to
have too many than too few.  If you're really trying to squeeze every
last bit of space out of the drive, it might be worth trying to
reduce the inode count, but it's generally not worth the effort.

If it's 5,000,000 used, that's another story...  You need to find
where those millions of 0-byte files are and delete them.  If it's on
the affected partition, /var/log is a good place to start looking, as
suggested earlier.  After that, I'd probably check /var/tmp and the
various subdirectories under /var/spool (especially any that are
related to print or mail daemons), then everything else under /var
before looking at anything else.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that