[mythtv-users] FAQ

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 05:48:07 UTC 2005

> I've had a go at doing an FAQ for this mailing list.  Consider it in a
> rough state at the moment with more questions to be added.  If anyone
> has any suggestions then please let me know.
>
> it's at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wolf1473/MythFAQ.html

Q2.3: All my fonts look like they are the wrong sizes, how can I
correct this?{top}

The first thing to do is to make sure that the X Server is running at
100dpi as this is the resolution at which Myth is designed to operate.
To find out what your resolution is use the command:

<quote>
If the response from this isn't 100x100 dots per inch, you need to
change your xorg.conf file to tell the X server the resolution to use.
Add a line:
DisplaySize x y
Under the "Monitor" section in your xorg.conf. Where x = (vertical
resolution)*0.254 and y = (horizontal resolution)*0.254, both rounded
up to the nearest integer.
</quote>

1) Are you sure it's vertical and horizontal _resolution_? I thought
it was the height and width measure in mm. After all how would anyone
know the resolution of a TV screen? Perhaps someone else can confirm
whether I'm right or not.

Another way to do it if you're running XDM is like this so you might
want to add this to the FAQ also:
        Edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and in the [server-Standard] section, change:
        command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0
        command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100 -audit

2) Might be worth adding some questions about frontend alternatives
such as Xbox and Playstations. I know nothing about Playstations so
perhaps someone else can add that. For Xbox the main options seem to
be xebian and there's a good site at http://bit.blkbk.com/ with
instructions. Alternatively you can install Xbox Media Centre and
XbmcMythTV which is a set of python scripts which provides a frontend.
XbmcMythTV is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv

Pros of XbmcMythTV are that it's easy to install and configure, no
messing around with linux; you get the benefits of the Xbox boot up
speed as you don't have to boot linux after booting the Xbox; the UI
can be controlled with the gamepad. Downsides are that you have to get
hold of a special mplayer.dll as the version that comes with XBMC
doesn't play MPEG4 files; the frontend functionality is limited; and
the software is not as stable as MythTV.

Regards,
Phill