[mythtv-users] FAQ

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 11:57:45 UTC 2005

On 10/8/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Q2.3: All my fonts look like they are the wrong sizes, how can I
> correct this?{top}
>
> The first thing to do is to make sure that the X Server is running at
> 100dpi as this is the resolution at which Myth is designed to operate.
> To find out what your resolution is use the command:
>
> <quote>
> If the response from this isn't 100x100 dots per inch, you need to
> change your xorg.conf file to tell the X server the resolution to use.
> Add a line:
> DisplaySize x y
> Under the "Monitor" section in your xorg.conf. Where x = (vertical
> resolution)*0.254 and y = (horizontal resolution)*0.254, both rounded
> up to the nearest integer.
> </quote>
>
> 1) Are you sure it's vertical and horizontal _resolution_? I thought
> it was the height and width measure in mm. After all how would anyone
> know the resolution of a TV screen? Perhaps someone else can confirm
> whether I'm right or not.

The FAQ is right (except x and y are swapped, ie. x = horizontal res *
0.254, y = vertical res * 0.254).

The equation is:
xdpi = 25.4 * HR / W
where HR is the horizontal resolution and W is the width in mm (which
is what goes in the config setting).

We want xdpi to be 100, so solving for W gives us:
W = HR * 25.4 / 100

Regards,
Steve