[mythtv-users] Possible MythWeb bug: When using a power search recording rule, ability to not record certain matches fails

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 8 21:17:17 UTC 2005

Nick wrote:

>Only noticed today when I set up a rule for the remaining Formula 1
>races (I have a friend trackside for both upcoming races).
>
>I set up the rule on a frontend and it worked a treat, picking out all
>the matching programs as I'd expect. There are several repeats (a
>repeat of the race at a more civilised hour for those starting very
>early, the repeated highlights, and then the whole race repeated later
>in the week.
>
>I almost always use the MythWeb interface to control my recordings, so
>when I went to manually cancel the extra showing I didn't want
>recorded, nothing seemed to change, and the showings were still set to
>record.

MythWeb does not (yet) support custom record rules.  You have two
options when using MythWeb for scheduling:  1)  patch it yourself to
support custom record, or 2) remember your custom record rules, identify
recordings that were selected because of custom record rules, and be
sure not to touch them from MythWeb.

>When I went to a frontend and manually selected those showing to not
>record, they were deactivated normally, and when viewed in MythWeb,
>are correctly shown as not to record.
>
>Has anyone else seen this behaviour, and is a/has a fix been released?
>
>The mythbackend logfile contains the errors (bad SQL syntax) that
>MythWeb seems to generate when trying to override the recording rule
>for those specific showings (sorry about the potential wrapping
>issues):

Yes.  When you edited the custom record rule in MythWeb, it may have
corrupted the rule.  If so, you need to use the frontend to delete the
custom record rule (i.e. cancel the /entire/ rule) and then re-create
it.  (OK, it's probably possible to fix the rule, but deleting and
re-creating it is guaranteed to work and won't make things worse.)

Make sure you verify the rule because MythWeb may have inserted portions
of the description into the query the scheduler is attempting to execute
every time the scheduler runs.  If so, you will get SQL errors every
time the scheduler runs until you delete the corrupted rule.

Mike

Leaving the SQL error for those searching the archives.