[mythtv-users] ITX vs ATX for dual-DVB system

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 06:43:36 UTC 2005

Stutty wrote:

>I originally went this route, but I'll never be completely satisfied
>until it is completely silent, and it isn't there yet (The 3.5" HD
>hums just too loud).

In principle, given enough memory the livetv could be without hard disk,
couldn't it? Just put the ringbuffer on a tmpfs filesystem? (How big is
the ringbuffer) And then sort out the ACPI stuff so it can turn off the
disks. Which hard disk was it, anyway? I'm looking at a 300G SATA maxtor
which is 26dB - as far as i can tell, 26dB should be just about
inaudible once put into a good quality case.

> I've have finally decided to bite the bullit and
>built a server in my loft. This solves all sorts of problems (loads of
>space for disks, loads of room for DVB cards, close to the arial for
>good reception, etc. etc.).

I'm not currently taking this option seriously. It would be too
difficult to run a CAT5 cable down from the attic to the ground floor.
(In principle I could hijack the existing aerial cable on the assumption
that it's not going to be needed any more, but I'm not happy doing
that). It's also more expensive, of course. Until I've tried this out
and satisfied myself that Myth suits me, I don't want to spend a
thousand pounds on it...

>I got my riser card from another retailer, and it did not work on the
>EPIA SP, however Tranquil were kind enough to send a replacement and a
>prepaid envelope for return of the duff one.

It's good to hear that their customer service is good!

>DVB cards seem to get very hot, especially if lying horizontally (as
>they will with this riser card), with no ventillation (you don't want
>fans in the living room), and in a small form factor case. I'm having
>'issues' with the card in my living room setup (its a hush case), and
>I'm pretty sure they are temperature related.

That's precisely what I feared; I could imagine horizontal DVB cards
getting very hot, convection can't work very well at that angle. Mind
you I was never expecting to be able to get a combined BE/FE to work
entirely fanless, that sounds too much to hope for. I was counting just
on buying a very quiet fan. Bear in mind I can't really claim to be a
purist since I have a PS2 (original black version) and they are pretty
damn loud... until recently, we watched all our DVDs on the PS2.

>I'm using an EPIA MII 12000 for the living room PC, and it doesn't
>really provide a perfect solution, but it is adequate. Turning on
>deinterlace & doing lots of On-Screen-Display (e.g. browsing channels)
>changes cause lots of prebuffering.

Hmm, I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you saying that the MII
12000 lacks the horsepower for deinterlace?  Do I need deinterlacing? I
somehow thought that was only necessary when displaying to a monitor,
rather than a TV screen, but maybe I'm exposing my ignorance there.

I think I'm veering back towards the ATX box solution, partly because I
think it's going to be cheaper, and partly because I think it's going to
be less hassle.

Cheers,

Jules