[mythtv-users] choppy sound on per-program basis.... (XvMC problem ?)

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Tue Oct 11 13:54:06 UTC 2005

Nick Parkinson wrote:

>Your choppy sound problem sounds like it may be caused
>by commercial skipping/flagging or whatever. I have a
>via epia mii and was told that commercial skipping on
>a low processor system such as epia would cause
>trouble.
>
>I suggest you disable it in the settigns.  I think
>there is an option in mythtv-setup and the general
>settings.

Nick,

Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you - I've been on
holiday and then had to rebuild my myth-box after the disc got trashed...

I'm not running any commercial skipping stuff. I guess that would be run
on the backend anyway, wouldn't it ?
The problem occurs on my frontend box which is using XvMC MPEG decoding
and only taking between 5-15% cpu.

Box is an EPIA VIA Ezra 1gz running 2.6.12-1.1378_FC3, FC3,
xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC3.ucr.30.8 and
kernel-module-via-drm-2.6.12-1.1376_FC3-2.6.3-2.ucr
(http://washington.kelkoo.net/epia/FC3/RPMS/) and latest myth from
atrpms (0.18.1-114) with libmyth-0.18.1-113.rhfc3.at. I haven't been
able to upgrade past this version of unichrome because of issues in
later versions on my architecture.

Sometimes the choppiness occurs throughout the whole recording, adverts
and main feature, sometimes the adverts are fine and it appears as soon
as the main programme starts.

I've tried playing with some of the other settings to no avail.

I have tried disabling XvMC in setup to see whether the choppiness is
associated with that, but curiously this seems to have no effect and the
log still talks about VLD Surfaces etc...

If I play the same recording on another box (dual opteron x86_64,
without h/w MPEG) it runs fine without choppiness. I guess I will have
to work out how to switch off XvMC on my Via and run some more tests....

Anyone any ideas?

cheers,

Jules