[mythtv-users] Not your everyday newbie questions

R. Stavros Bezas stav at bezas.com
Tue Oct 11 17:56:42 UTC 2005

Robert,

I appreciate your quick response, analyzing this setup is aggravating
me as much as it excites me. I always love a good challenge.

To address a few of your replies:

Upon looking at costs/feasibility/implementation I am leaning more
towards Comcast. The ability to potentially use that firewire
connection really appeals to me. I hope someone with more experience
with the firewire can answer this question :

Will I be able to capture all content from the cable box (SD,HD local
and HD encrypted) through the firewire cable? Will I also be able to
change channels via it or will I need an IR blaster?

Without the firewire connection am I correct in assuming that there
is no way to capture HD encrypted content like HD Espn, HD TNT, HD
Discovery, etc? Is this a blanket problem or are there ways around it?

In regards to the "1:1 pixel mapping" idea you suggested: Do you have
any more information regarding this so I can look further into it, I
am curious to find out more about it.

I appreciate the good luck, I am looking forward to learning all
about how to create this and have no real time frame nor other
constraints to apply stress to the situation. I have *nix experience,
while not Linux I believe it will greatly help me in installing
everything on the software end. (Plus KnoppMyth is a great solution
too I hear)

Thank you again.