[mythtv-users] Controlling a cable box that outputs only on a single channel.

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 21:31:02 UTC 2005

On 10/11/05, Steve <stgarf at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a strange predicament, or at least I haven't stumbled upon anyone
> else with it yet. I have a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD box. I am using the
> cable out on the back of my cable box and it goes into my second tuner card
> (PVR-250). Here's the problem:
>  The cable box's cable out only broadcasts on channel 3. So when Myth has
> a listing for lets say... channel 5, it tunes from 3 to 5. Now it only picks
> up static, however for it to work, it needs to stay tuned on 3. The cable
> box can be on whatever channel needs to be recorded, that's why I bought an
> IR Blaster, but getting that to work is a problem for later. I hope most, or
> at least all of this, made sense.

When you run mythtv-setup and configure your capture cards you need to tell
myth not to change channels on the tuner that's connected to your cable box.
I believe this setting is in the Input Connections section. You select
Tuner0 for the 250 and tell it which source is connected to that input.
There is a box towards the bottom of that screen where you can enter an
external channel changer command. This is where you put the full path to the
script you'll use to control the IR blaster and change channels on the cable
box. Just below that there is a box labelled something like 'Preset tuner to
channel'. You want to enter 3 in that box. It tells myth to set its tuner to
channel 3 whenever it uses that input. Obviously, you'll also need to get
the IR blaster working so myth can actually change the channel on the cable
box.

As another alternative, you could use composite or s-video cables to connect
the cable box to the pvr-250. This would completely bypass the tuner on the
250 and prevent this problem, but you'll still need to configure the
external channel changing.

Hope that helps,
Brad