[mythtv-users] Re: Fedora Mythtv, pcHDTV and Comcast?

Simpson, Richard Richard.Simpson at wgint.com
Wed Oct 12 04:40:09 UTC 2005

I would fix all of them. Myth has a habit of hanging on a channel that's not working when using the up/down keys. It then remembers this last (broken) channel and wants to start there next time, regardless of what's in the startchan field.

> Well, I am at least getting a picture, but it is unwatchable :( The
> sound is nothing but static, and the picture is very choppy. After a
> few minutes, the mythfrontend process dies, and I have to kill it.
>
> In another terminal, I notice that CPU usage is pegged when playing
> back this content, even though my video card (nVidia 6200) is supposed
> to support on-the-fly MPEG decoding. Looks like I need to track this
> down, as well ...

Make sure you select "use hardware xvmc decoder" in the frontend setup. For this to work, Myth has to be compiled with xvmc support. With Gentoo, I just set USE="xvmc"; I don't know how the rpms are built.

With hardware decoding, my athlon xp 3200+ runs at 38%. Without, it runs at about 95% and exhibits a lot of dropped frames. However, my friend has a standalone HDTV with a built-in tuner, and often gets dropouts and digital artifacts. He believes that the networks haven't worked out all the bugs yet. Weak signals will give similar problems.

Richard.