[mythtv-users] Who wants to help me develop a new theme? It's time.

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 22:14:07 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com> wrote:
>  Andrew Close wrote:
>  On 10/12/05, Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com> wrote:
>

>  The gods of User Experience have spoken (
> http://www.apple.com/imac/frontrow.html ) let's offer them
> the highest
> form of flattery.
>

> hmm, it kinda looks like Apple ripped off CenterStage:
> http://centerstageproject.com/index.php
>
> i believe CneterStage was supposed to be an opensource media center
> for the Mac platform...

>  I wouldn't call it a ripoff.  They look nothing alike.  But if you are
> referring to the concept, I would say that Apple is extremely careful not to
> step on the toes of 3rd party and Open Source developers.  Apple could have
> built in FTP functionality years ago, but has respected Fetch Softworks and
> Panic Software.

oh i didn't necessarily mean it in a negative way. :)  some of the
early CenterStage screenshots looked fairly similar to what Apple is
now offering.  hopefully they'll compliment each other.  too bad Apple
doesn't pair up with OSS projects or take them under their wing.  that
would be kinda cool.

>  (Don't even bring up Konfabulator... that argument has been made.
> Dashboard is a very different product built on existing Apple technologies,
> where Konfabulator was built on heavy JS & HTML processing layers.
> Konfabulator had a different goal in mind, and they have reached it now that
> Yahoo! has purchased them.)

i agree, different circumstance.  Konfabulator actually 'borrowed'
from older Apple desk widgets from what i understand.  and Dashboard
widgets are far superior to Konfab widgets. ;)  not that i've found
either particularly useful.

i'm an Apple Geek and have been for ~3 years now.  i just wish they
would have updated the Powerbooks today...

back on topic :)

i would love to see some nicer themes/UIs come along for Myth.  i
unfortunetely am not graphically gifted.  i know what i like though.
:)  the Myxer theme was a huge step forward i thought.  at least it
gave users fairly easy access to theming their MythBox.
i'm all for flattering Apple by 'borrowing' their theme.  or possibly
working with the CenterStage guys to use their look & feel...  they
would probably be more approachable anyway.

what about an overhaul to MythWeb while we're at it? :)  give it a
similar look & feel, or make it semi-themable.  just a thought.

my background is similar to yours Richard.  let me know if you want to
bounce other ideas around or how i can help.  i'd like to contribute
to the Myth community and OSS in general if i can.